(Long story short: The FCC is about to make a critical decision as to whether or not internet service providers have to treat all traffic equally. If they choose wrong, then the internet where anyone can start a website for any reason at all, the internet that’s been so momentous, funny, weird, and surprising—that internet could cease to exist. Here’s your chance to preserve a beautiful thing.)
“A villain is just a victimwhose story hasn’t been told.”
Why is this one of the things recommended for me on my dash.
There’s so much wrong with this.
1. The quote is bullshit, and indicative of everything terrible about our society, which constantly puts the pain of the abuser above those they abuse.
2 It also grossly furthers the idea that all victims are potential abusers. Which has real life ramifications, because this is actually something that survivors of child abuse fear and one of the reasons they do not always come forward.
3. Bucky has no goddamn business being in this set. He wasn’t a villain. He actually was a victim.
4. We saw Anakin’s story. We KNOW his story. Cool story, bro, but you still murdered children. You are not now and never shall be a fucking victim, but those babies were, so fuck you and fuck your defenders and especially fuck anyone who would think that you are a goddamn victim.
5. We know Magneto’s story intimately. It has been told often. He was a victim once. And then he decided that Genocide was okay.
6. Fuck Fake White Khan and we do in fact know Real Khan’s story. He did think he was a victim, but no, he was not. He was a complicated and amazing villain that went against the typical type of POC villains that we get - he was brilliant and clever and not just a “thug.” But he was not a victim (no, not even after the neighboring planet went boom.)
7. We know Loki’s story too. It’s one of a whiny spoiled brat who keeps trying to commit genocide.
tldr: Bucky has no business being in this set. The rest of these people are murderous terrible people. They are not victims, though some of them were once.
I waited to reblog this, specifically for someone to express this^^. tumblr delivered.
I have to wonder if people would be anywhere near as sympathetic of these characters if they were fat.
Movie!Maleficent shouldn’t even be in this photoset at all, she’s an anti-hero, not a villain, and she didn’t kill anyone that wasn’t a total asshole
“It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices.”
Harry could’ve been a villain too. His parents were murdered, and he was neglected until he was eleven years old. These villains (aside from Bucky, who was experimented upon and brainwashed and essentially programmed) made wrong choices. It’s cool to like villains as characters, they are complicated and sometimes badass as hell, but don’t think for a second that in the real world, just because something wrong was done to you, that it’s ok to go out and do something wrong to someone else.
This is a culture war. The right side is winning, at great cost. At great personal costs to people like Anita Sarkeesian, Leigh Alexander, Zoe Quinn and even Jennifer Lawrence, and countless others who are on the frontlines of creating new worlds for women, for girls, for everyone who believes that stories matter and there are too many still untold. We are winning. We are winning because we are more resourceful, more compassionate, more culturally aware. We’re winning because we know what it’s like to fight through adversity, through shame and pain and constant reminders of our own worthlessness, and come up punching. We know we’re winning because the terrified rage of a million mouthbreathing manchild misogynists is thick as nerve gas in the air right now.
Us Social Justice Warriors – this is me, stealing that word in order to use it against my enemies- are winning the culture war by tearing up the rulebook, and there’s nothing the sad, mad little boys who hate women and queers and people of colour can do about it. Nothing, at least, that doesn’t sabotage their strategy, because they can win their game from day to day, but they’re losing the war. They can punish me for writing this, and I’m sure they will, but that will only prove my point. I’m not afraid anymore.
Every time they make an example of one of us, ten more stand up in outrage to hold her up or take her place.
We are stronger, smarter and more numerous than anyone imagined, and we are not to be fucked with.